Jose W. Hernandez, Partner
Jose has 23 years of experience in areas including personal injury, products liability, medical malpractice, construction site injuries, trucking accidents, nursing home negligence, workers' compensation, commercial litigation and criminal defense in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. He has worked for some of the top law firms in South Jersey where he gained much experience handling complex cases involving catastrophic injuries. He now puts that experience to work for clients of the Kotlar, Hernandez & Cohen, LLC .
Jose has also devoted his time and experience to public appointments. He served as a municipal court public defender for 7 years and 4 years as a member of the Supreme Court of New Jersey, Office of Attorney Ethics, District I Ethics Committee. He has also regularly volunteered his time to serve as a speaker in ethics seminars sponsored by the New Jersey Association of Justice and the Camden County Bar Association.
Born in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Jose is fluent in Spanish. He aggressively protects the rights of those who have been injured by the negligence of others.
Jose obtained his undergraduate degree from Rutgers University in 1989 and graduated from Widener University School of Law in 1994. He is admitted to practice law in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Personal injury litigation
- Products liability
- Medical malpractice
- Construction site injuries
- Trucking accidents
- Nursing home negligence
- Workers' compensation
- Commercial litigation
- Criminal defense
- Associate, Kotlar, Hernandez & Cohen, LLC 2014- present
- Associate, The Ferrara Law Firm, LLC, 2009-2014
- Partner, DiLazzero & Hernandez, LLC, 2003-2008
- Associate, Basile & Testa, P.A., 2001-2003
- Associate, Weinberg, McCormick, Chatzinoff & Zoll, P.C., 1999-2001
- Associate, Kozlov, Seaton, Romanini, Brooks & Greenberg, P.C., 1995-1999
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Joseph F. Greene, Jr. 1994-1995
- Public Defender for the Borough of Buena, Atlantic County, New Jersey appointed January 5, 2004 to December 31, 2011.
- Supreme Court Of New Jersey, Office of Attorney Ethics, Appointment to the District I Ethics Committee May, 2007 to 2011.
- Widener University School of Law, J.D. 1994
- Rutgers University, B.A. 1989
- State of New Jersey, 1994
- District of New Jersey, 1994
- State of Pennsylvania, 1995
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1999
- Camden Bar Association
- Burlington Bar Association
- Cumberland Bar Association
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- Life Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- South Jersey Magazine Top Attorneys Award – Personal Injury, 2018; Automotive, 2016
Reported and unreported decisions
- Greenberg v. Pryszlak, 426 N.J. Super. 591 (App. Div. 2012)-Civil rights case against the New Jersey State Police arising from a wrongful arrest. Appellate Division reversed trial court's dismissal of the case.
- Falasca Mechanical v. Gloucester County Improvement Authority, A-1872-08T1 decided June 26, 2009-Public bidding case involving Gloucester County's new criminal court building. Represented a successful bidder in a multimillion construction contract challenged by an unsuccessful bidder.
- State of New Jersey v. Hall, Appeal No. 27-06, decided December 20, 2006, Cumberland County Superior Court-Case of first impression-Inoperable third brake light did not justify a motor vehicle stop. Drug charges and DWI dismissed by the Superior Court.